About Me

My photo
I love crafting, especially rubber stamping. Most weekends I can be found surrounded by paper, rubber stamps and ink.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

SSSC63 - Taking Time

It's Sunday and that means it's SSSC time.

At the start of my street, where it intersects with the neighborhood's main street running down to the ocean, there is a small vegetable and fruit stand. Close to the street on the property, is this beat up old pickup truck, all rusted, so much so that it's hard to guess what the original color is.  It's parked under a tree and the bed of the truck is filled with dirt and plants. Being spring now, the back of the truck is vivid with colorful flowers. I must pass this spot dozens of times each week. On my way to work, shopping, life's errands, hardly giving it a glance.  If I have given it a glance, I've probably thought, "why don't they get rid of that junky old truck?"  A few days ago while driving by, I happen to glance over, but this time I noticed the color.  Taking a much longer look, taking the time, it occurred to me why this junky old truck is there.  It's setting the scene.  The scene of "country" in  the city.  The scene of "garden" in the city.  The scene of slowing down and "taking time".

I decided that I would try to "paint" this picture with my rubber stamps. This week's Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge layout provided the perfect opportunity for me to take the time.





Supplies and recipe:
Stamps:  Stampin' Up Loads of Love, Lovely As a Tree and Teeny Tiny Wishes sets
Card Stock:  SU Not quite navy, old olive, bashful blue, whisper white and SU water color paper
DSP: SU Maine blueberry
Ink:  Memento tuxedo black, SU really rust, not quite navy, night of navy, bashful blue, old olive, garden green, glorious green, certainly celery, close to cocoa, pretty in pink, lavender lace, sahara sand, summer sun and craft black
Embellishments: SU flower daises #2 die, earth elements button
Other: SU Scallop trim border and corner punches, crafter's tool kit, classic circle and scallop circle nesties, clear embossing powder, embossing heat tool, aqua painter, sponge and dimensionals.

The truck was stamped on watercolor paper with memento tuxedo black ink and masked.  The oak tree stamp was colored directly on the rubber with various green SU markers, spritzed with water a few times so the ink was almost runny, then stamped over the masked truck.  The truck and the rest of the image was colored with SU inks using the aqua painter.  The image was cut out with a circle nestie, then bashful blue ink was sponged in the top of the circle and old olive ink sponged in the bottom.  "Happy Birthday" was stamped with black craft ink and embossed with clear embossing powder.

This is one of those card that, indeed, took time to create.  I'm pretty happy with my result.

I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful Easter Sunday.
Thanks for stopping by,
Colleen

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this card! Feeling inspired to get my little truck out. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW this truck is awesome! And thankyou for the story that goes with it, it took me away to a street near the ocean :) Your card is beautiful, love the colours and corner details,

    Lee x

    ReplyDelete

Comments on my projects are appreciated. I love hearing from you!